"I feel like our hard-earned money will be paying for something that is ours" - Kyra and Brandon, Homeowners, 2018
Homeownership is out of reach for many families because a down payment is often too difficult to save for, and interest charges make a mortgage payment more than many can afford.
That’s where we come in! Established in 1988, Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region is a nonprofit housing organization working to break the cycle of poverty by building homes with hardworking families in need of decent and affordable housing.
Focused on providing a hand up and not a hand out, Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region partners with families who are willing to volunteer a certain number of hours, called, “sweat equity”, and will repay an interest-free mortgage.
(Just some of the) benefits of being a homeowner with Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region:
- 100% of families say they are happier
- 59% of families lived in townhouses, houses or duplexes before they moved into their Habitat home
- 89% of families are still volunteering in the community
- 100% of families surveryed indicated their kids did better in school in some capacity
- 100% of those old enough to graduate highschool did
- 89% of families feel in control of their budget, and 72% say they are better off financially
- 69% of families say they feel connected to their neighbours
- 78% of families report better health, including reduced colds, flu, allergies, asthma symptoms and stress
- no down payment on your mortgage
- interest-free mortgage
- mortgage payments are geared to your income
- you will OWN your forever home to make memories within
"It's humbling and inspiring to be around these people, and know they will be our neighbours!" - Melissa and Detlef, Homeowners, 2018
How can you get a Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region home?
To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- your family has a steady and stable income
- you do not qualify for a mortgage from a bank or mortgage lender
- your total family gross household income is between $30,000 and $59,000*
- your family has at least one child who is preferably 13 years or younger at the time you apply
- your family has lived in Waterloo Region continuously for the past 3 years
- each adult must be prepared to complete a certain number of volunteer hours known as "sweat equity"
* Dollar figures are subject to change.
How can you get your volunteer hours? (and what can qualify as "sweat equity"?)
Help build your home or your neighbour's.
Don’t worry. Even if you don’t have any building skills or experience you can join the team on our build site. We will train you, provide all the safety equipment and tools you will need. We’re here with you for the journey. Plus, you’ll learn valuable skills for when you’re a homeowner.
Help keep other volunteers happy and healthy.
Building a home is a lot of hard work. Everyone certainly works up an appetite. On our build site, we need you to prepare meals and snacks for our volunteers along with keeping the place sparkling and organized.
Help us at our ReStore.
ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centres that sell new and gently used cabinetry, furniture, home accessories, building material and appliances to the public at a fraction of the retail price… up to 80% off! We need your help stocking shelves, repairing, restoring, cleaning, pricing and more. You’ll be helping us cover our administrative costs. Not to mention the bargains you could find for your new home!
Help your own community.
Pay it forward. The community is helping you build your home, let’s help them too. After all, we may not live next door to each other, but we are still neighbours. You can use a portion of your volunteer hours at your kid’s school, other community events and so much more.
What do we build at Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region?
- decent and affordable homes
- townhouse style homes in condominium complexes … we’re really building communities!
- most units are 1100 sq ft — a lot of room for a happy family
- all building codes and requirements are met
Ready to start your journey? You too can become a homeowner! The application process is just that: a process. There are many steps involved. Because each family is uniquely wonderful, so each application and situation is different. The application process can take up to 12 months, so let's get started! You start by filling out the questions within this preliminary application, and providing HabitatWR with the information we need in order to see if your family meets the basic criteria.
If you have any questions about the application process, the preliminary application or the documentation required contact the Family Services Manager. Staff will endeavor to keep everyone up to date on the progress of their application throughout every step of the process. Together we can work through this process and together we can make your dreams come true!