Volunteer Engagement Coordinator - Build Site
Manager of Volunteer Engagement
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator - Build Site will be responsible for various volunteer-related aspects of the organization with a particular focus on the Build Site volunteer roles.
This is a full time position at 37.5 hours per week
- Hours are Monday through Friday
- Start and end times may fluctuate between 7:30 or 8:00am and 3:30pm or 4:00pm depending on the site needs
- Occasional evening and extra weekend work may be required
Who We Are
Founded in 1988, Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region is a charitable organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Our model of affordable homeownership bridges a gap for lower-income, working families by providing them with the opportunity to purchase their own Habitat home. Habitat for Humanity brings communities together to help families build strength, stability, and self- reliance through affordable homeownership.
We have an exciting 5-year strategic plan, focused on MAXIMIZING our Impact, BUILDING Community, BEING a Partner of Choice, and SUPPORTING our Learning Organization. These next few years will be full of growth and change and we are looking for a new member of the Community Outreach Team focused on Volunteer Services..
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate all volunteer-related aspects of the Build Project including recruitment, registration, training and recognition
- Work closely with the build site team, plan volunteer tasks for the day depending on numbers and skill-levels of volunteers and encourage volunteer-friendly environments
- Greet and train volunteers daily with a pre-determined safety training and orientation program
- Promote and help ensure a safe work site
- Host corporate teams for their Team Build Days onsite and provide communication support leading up to their event day
- Purchase supplies, secure food donations, and source food supply vendors
- Provide leadership to the Hospitality Team – a group of dedicated volunteers who provide refreshments throughout the day
- Maintain accurate volunteer data in our volunteer management system
- Respond to inquiries about volunteerism from the public – including attending volunteer recruitment fairs and responding to speaking engagements
The list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem as necessary.
What We Offer
- A dedicated staff team, working towards the same goals
- A competitive compensation package
- A flexible schedule within our core business hours
- A learning organization, with a focus on personal and professional development
What You Bring
- A desire to make a positive impact in our community
- An understanding of the non-profit, voluntary and social services sector
- A passion for people and a strong team player
- An exceptional communicator both verbally and in written form
- An ability to work independently and pay attention to detail
- An excitement about discussing the big picture and your role in it
- A willingness to learn and grow individually and as part of a team
- An ability to thrive in an environment with multiple projects and competing deadlines
Qualifications We Are Seeking
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Understanding of the volunteer management cycle and experience implementing its various elements
- Proven ability to organize and motivate groups of volunteers
- Excellent customer service skills with experience relating to various members of the public
- Physically able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs, as well as walking up stairs on an active build site
- An intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Word, Excel and Publisher
- Experience working with Salesforce or other Human Resource Management software systems (considered an asset)
- Provide proof of an acceptable Police Records Check working with vulnerable populations to ensure the safety and security of our youth and elderly volunteers.
- Provide proof of a valid Ontario Driver’s License, adequate insurance and a clear driving record.
- Access to reliable transportation.
Medium level risks associated include:
- exposure to the elements (with access to shelter)
- dealing with many volunteers at once
- working on an active construction site with inherent safety risks
- working alone occasionally with access to personal information
Training and Supervision
- Basic orientation will be provided in the first week of employment.
- Specific training on our volunteer management database will be self-directed with some specific on-line and in-person modules available.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Debbie Hind, Manager of Volunteer Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org or apply through the form below
Posting closes on Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM
HabitatWR is committed to being a leader in supporting and valuing the diversity of the people, organizations, and communities it serves. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HabitatWR is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.