Who We Are
Founded in 1988, Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region is a non-profit organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to call home. We work to bring our community together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, donors and community partners, we provide a solid foundation for low-income families in Waterloo Region.
Volunteer Services Assistant - Build Site
Manager of Volunteer Engagement
The Volunteer Services Assistant will be responsible for various volunteer-related aspects of the organization with a particular focus on the build site volunteer roles.
This is an 8 week contract position with possibility of extension at 35 hours per week; $14.50 per hour compensation
· Hours are 8:00 to 3:30pm Monday through Friday.
· Occasional evening and extra weekend work may be required.
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting all volunteer-related aspects to the Build Project including recruitment, registration, training and recognition.
- Working closely with the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator to support all volunteer-related needs onsite.
- Greeting and training volunteers with a pre-determined safety training and orientation program.
- Promoting and helping to ensure a safe work site with particular focus on COVID-19-related procedures.
- Supporting hospitality including working with volunteers to provide refreshments throughout the day.
- Maintaining accurate volunteer data in our volunteer management system.
- Assisting with construction-related duties onsite to support the volunteer program and overall build site needs.
- Supporting the work and efforts of the build site staff, working together as a team.
- As part of the Canada Summer Jobs program, and in accordance to the nature of this position, applicants must be youth aged between 16-30 and either a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a Refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Excellent customer service skills and experience relating to various members of the public.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience in public speaking.
- Physically capable of lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs, as well as walking up stairs on an active build site.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Word, Excel and Publisher.
- Experience working with volunteer registration software systems would be considered an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Provide proof of an acceptable Criminal Records and Judicial Matters Check working with populations to ensure the safety and security of our youth and elderly volunteers.
- Provide proof of a valid Ontario Driver’s License, adequate insurance and a clear driving record.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Medium level risks associated with this position include: exposure to the elements (with access to shelter), dealing with many volunteers at once, working on an active construction site with inherent safety risks, and working alone occasionally with access to personal information.
Training and Supervision
- Basic orientation will be provided in the first week of employment.
- Specific training on our volunteer management database will be self-directed with some specific on-line and in-person modules available.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Debbie Hind, Manager of Volunteer Engagement at email@example.com or apply through the form below
Posting closes on Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 11:59PM
HabitatWR is committed to being a leader in supporting and valuing the diversity of the people, organizations, and communities it serves. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HabitatWR is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.