Volunteer Services Assistant – ReStore
Manager of Volunteer Engagement
The Volunteer Services Assistant will be responsible for various volunteer-related aspects of the organization with a particular focus on the ReStore volunteer roles.
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. As part of the Canada Summer Jobs program, and in accordance with the nature of this position, applicants must be youth aged between 16-30 and either a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a Refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
This is an 8-week contract position at 35 hours per week with possibility of extension; $15.00 per hour compensation
· Hours are 8:00 am to 3:30 pm Monday through Friday.
· Occasional evening and extra weekend work may be required.
Duties and responsibilities
- Supporting all volunteer-related aspects of the ReStore including recruitment, registration, training and recognition.
- Working closely with the Manager of Volunteer Engagement to support all volunteer-related needs onsite.
- Greeting and training volunteers with a pre-determined safety training and orientation program.
- Promoting and helping to ensure a safe work site.
- Maintaining accurate volunteer data in our volunteer management system.
- Assisting with a special volunteer-related project.
- Excellent customer service skills and experience relating to various members of the public.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience in public speaking.
- Physically capable of lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Word, Excel and Publisher.
- Experience working with volunteer registration software systems is considered an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Provide proof of an acceptable Criminal Records and Judicial Matters Check
- Provide proof of a valid Ontario Driver’s License, adequate insurance and a clear driving record.
- Access to reliable transportation.
Training and Supervision
- Basic orientation will be provided in the first two weeks of employment.
- Specific training on our volunteer management database will be self-directed with some specific on-line and in-person modules available.
Medium level risks associated with this position include exposure to the elements (with access to shelter), dealing with many volunteers at once, working around an active warehouse with inherent safety risks, and occasionally working alone with access to personal information.
Please note that we will be reviewing and evaluating applications on an ongoing basis and we therefore encourage early submissions.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Debbie Hind, Manager of Volunteer
Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting closes on Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 11:59 PM.
Habitat Waterloo Region is committed to being a leader in supporting and valuing the diversity of the people, organizations, and communities it serves. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Habitat Waterloo Region is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.