Who We Are
Founded in 1988, Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region is a non-profit organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to call home. We work to bring our community together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, donors and community partners, we provide a solid foundation for low-income families in Waterloo Region.
Salvage Crew Member
Varies - Homes of Individuals in Waterloo Region
Time varies - Monday to Friday
To carry out the stated mission of Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region. The Salvage Crew Member is responsible for safely and gently removing products and materials from individuals undertaking renovation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Salvage Coordinator in removing products and materials from homes
- Work with the Salvage Coordinator and Salvage Crew
- Help unload the truck at the ReStore locations
- Ensure safety on site at all times
- Assist in the repair of salvaged materials, as directed
Qualifications and Skills
- Understanding of the Habitat for Humanity philosophy and the desire to promote it
- Ability to work with a team
- Good spatial awareness
- Basic home renovation skills are an asset
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be punctual
- Willingness to learn
- Capable of lifting 25kg (50lbs) repeatedly
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be willing to submit to a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check
Orientation and Training
- HabitatWR Volunteer Orientation and Safety Training
- New volunteers will require a training period
- Customer’s homes
- Work in all weather conditions when loading and unloading items
- Transportation to various locations required
- Satisfaction helping local families in need purchase safe, decent, affordable housing
- Contribute to practices that are environmentally sustainable
- Develop skills
- Find fellowship
Health & Safety
- Green patch CSA-approved footwear
- No shorts or excessively loose clothing
- No dangling jewelry
- Participate in the removal of all designated items
- Represent Habitat Waterloo Region in a positive manner
- Tidy workspaces prior to leaving
- Create a safe workspace by following all safety protocols
HabitatWR is committed to being a leader in supporting and valuing the diversity of the people, organizations, and communities it serves. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HabitatWR is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
First time volunteer?
The first step of becoming a Salvage Crew Member is to create an account on VolHub, our volunteer scheduling app!
Sign up for shifts here: