Who We Are
Founded in 1988, Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region is a non-profit organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to call home. We work to bring our community together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, donors and community partners, we provide a solid foundation for low-income families in Waterloo Region.
242 Kehl Street, Kitchener
8:15 am to 4:00 pm - Monday to Friday
Volunteer for 1-2 shifts. After this time, a commitment of 10 days over three months is required.
To build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter.
To carry out the stated mission of Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region. Build Crew are responsible for various stages in the home-building process.
Build Site and Volunteer Services staff
- Work with a team or independently building homes
- Work with, and follow instructions from Crew leaders and staff
- Ensure safety on site at all times
- Keep site tidy at all times
Qualifications and/or Skills
- Understanding of the Habitat for Humanity philosophy and the desire to promote it
- Physically capable of lifting and carrying up to 40 lbs
- On-site construction experience is an asset
- Willingness to learn
- Positive attitude
- Excellent listening skills and desire to follow instructions
- Must be at least 16 years of age
Orientation and Training
- Habitat Waterloo Region Build Site Volunteer Orientation
- Completion of a safety quiz
- Construction Site Safety Training
- Tour of the build site
- Exposure to the elements
- Working on an active construction site with inherent safety risks
- Working independently and with a team
- Gain satisfaction helping local families in need purchase safe, decent, affordable housing
- Develop construction skills
- Meet new people and build long-term relationships
Health & Safety
- Green patch, CSA-approved footwear & Class E –Type II hard hat (available on site)
- Long pants required
- Appropriate dress for all weather types
- No excessively loose clothing or dangling jewelry
- Represent Habitat Waterloo Region in a positive manner
- Maintain quality building
- Maintain a tidy worksite
- Create a safe workspace by following all safety protocols
Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region supports diversity, inclusion and representation of the people, organizations, and communities we work with and serve.
First time volunteer?
The first step is to register for and attend an orientation. To do that, go to VolHub (our volunteer scheduling app) and create an account.
Click here to get started:
Register to Volunteer
Sign up for shifts here:
Sign up a for shift