Who We Are
Founded in 1988, Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region is a non-profit organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to call home. We work to bring our community together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, donors and community partners, we provide a solid foundation for low-income families in Waterloo Region.
Meet at 120 Northfield Drive East, Waterloo - ReStore
8:30am – 4:00pm (some flexibility), Monday through Friday
Volunteer 1-2 shifts. After this time, a commitment of 10 shifts over 3 months is required.
To build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter.
To carry out the stated mission of Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region. The Driver’s Assistant is responsible for picking up donations from local homeowners or businesses.
ReStore and Volunteer Services staff
- Assist the driver to pick up donations within Waterloo Region
- Work with the Driver, Driver’s Assistant, and Customers
- Help unload the truck at ReStore locations
- Ensure safety on site at all times
Qualifications and/or Skills
- Understanding of the Habitat for Humanity philosophy and the desire to promote it
- Ability to work with a team
- Good spatial awareness
- Excellent customer service skills
- Willingness to learn
- Must be punctual
- Capable of lifting 25kg (50lbs) repeatedly
- Must be at least 16 years of age
Orientation and Training
- Habitat Waterloo Region Volunteer Orientation and Safety Training
- Completion of a safety quiz
- Tour of ReStores
- AODA certificate completion (Required topics for the customer service standard training)
- Confined space in truck
- Customer’s homes
- Commercial loading docks
- A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check is required
- Gain satisfaction helping local families in need purchase safe, decent, affordable housing
- Develop customer service and handyperson skills
- Meet new people and build long term relationships
Health & Safety
- Green patch CSA-approved footwear (available to borrow)
- No excessively loose clothing
- No dangling jewelry
- Represent Habitat Waterloo Region in a positive manner
- Actively participate in the removal of designated items
- Perform all duties in a safe manner
- Arrive on time and dressed for the conditions
Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region supports diversity, inclusion and representation of the people, organizations, and communities we work with and serve.
This is not an entry level position. We ask you to begin by volunteering at the ReStore where you can learn about the unique training process for this position.